Preparing for success
Students are taught by specialist teachers and have the opportunity to choose some of their own subject areas. We prepare senior students for excellence in their Cambridge and IB examinations, and encourage them to take responsibility for their own learning as a way of preparing for further study at university and beyond.
The Middle School years (Years 7-9) are a time for increased independence in learning. Our challenging and creative programme helps students develop skills and understandings needed to meet the demands of high school while continuing to inspire a thirst for learning. Our middle school programme provides an academic framework that encourages students to embrace and understand the connections between traditional subjects and the real world, and to become critical and reflective thinkers.
The Middle School years are also a time when children are exploring who they are and where they belong. They want to increase the level of independence in their own decision-making. Our task as educators, in partnership with parents, is to guide them along this road with both patience and understanding.
The broad-based curriculum we offer in Years 7-9 provides an excellent foundation for study at a Senior Secondary
Cambridge Lower Secondary is a world-class education programme for learners in Years 7-9.
Students take the following subjects during Years 7–9:
- English or English Language Support
- Visual Arts Physical Education / Dance
- Global Perspectives
- Bahasa Indonesia / Chinese (Mandarin)
- Music / Drama / Public Speaking
- Design Technology
- Health & Personal Development
Senior School – IGCSE
In Years 10 and 11, our students study a range of courses that lead to IGCSE (International General Certificate in Secondary Education) examinations at the end of Year 11. Specifically designed to meet the needs of students at international schools, courses lead to globally- respected qualifications equal to the GCSE examinations taken by students in the United Kingdom at the same age. Cambridge IGCSE is the world’s most popular international qualification for 14–16 year-olds and is taught in over 10,000 schools in more than 160 countries.
Students normally study between seven and nine IGCSE examinations, choosing from a range of subject options:
- English – Second Language
- OR English – Language & English – Literature (two subjects)
- Mathematics – International
- Mathematics – Additional (as an extension, if appropriate)
- Global Perspectives
- Personal Development and Leadership (Non IGCSE)
- Art & Design
- Design Technology
- Bahasa Indonesia
- Bahasa Indonesia (foreign language)
- Physical Education/Dance
- Chinese (Mandarin)
Senior school – IBDP
For students in Years 12–13, the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme (IBDP) is a two-year course following on directly from IGCSE. It provides greater breadth and depth of study than many national systems allow and is an internationally recognised qualification for university entrance.
Students select six subjects, one from each group, with three at Higher Level (HL) and three at Standard Level (SL). If desired, students may select an additional Group 4 science subject – Chemistry or Sport, Exercise and Health Science instead of Visual Arts (in Group 6).
Group 1 (Studies in Language & Literature)
- English A: Language and Literature SL/HL
- Indonesian A: Language and Literature SL/HL
- School Supported Self-taught Language A – such as Korean, Thai, Japanese, Malay, French and Spanish SL
Group 2 (Language Acquisition)
- English B SL/HL
- Indonesian B SL/HL
- French ab Initio SL
Group 3 (Individuals & Societies)
- Information Technology in a Global Society SL/HL
- Economics SL/HL
Group 4 (Sciences)
- Biology SL/HL
- Physics SL/HL
- Chemistry SL/HL
- Sport, Exercise and Health Sciences SL/HL
- Mathematics : Analysis and Approaches SL/HL
- Mathematics : Applications and Interpretation SL/HL
- Visual Arts SL/HL
- Music SL/HL
- *Group 6 can be replaced with a course in Groups 1 – 4
- CAS (Creativity, Activity, Service)
- TOK (Theory of Knowledge)
- EE (Extended Essay)
Senior school – HS Diploma
ACG School Jakarta offers programmes that innovatively incorporate the requirements of the Indonesian national curriculum into the school programmes. At times, student interests lead to small numbers of students opting not to take the IBDP. Students choosing the high school diploma pathway undertake courses at Years 10-13 that are a combination of examined and non-examined subjects.